Why do I have to pay flood insurance in St. Pete, the house is not on the water.

Pin It

Why do I have to pay flood insurance in St. Pete, the house is not on the water.

A lot of my buyers assume that just because the house is not directly on the water, they do not have to pay for flood insurance. That might be true in other state but not here in Florida. It is not just about how far you are from the water, it is also about elevation. We have streets that are ½ mile from the water and no flood insurance needed and we have streets 3 miles from the water that need flood insurance. The easiest way is to look at a Pinellas county flood map, There are different levels of flood zones in different areas, sometimes 20% of the homes on one street need flood insurance and the other 80% don’t. Do not assume, look at the map or simply ask your local St Petersburg Realtor.

Leave a reply