The real estate market has change and the way we do business has changed a lot. here in St. Pete Tampabay we have a ton of homes for sale and I really like the idea of the seller making a binder to promote the house. I as a Realtor could do this for my listings BUT it would just not be the same. When the seller does it, it will have a much needed personal touch.
This is a marketing tool. Most Buyers want to make informed decisions. They depend upon their agent to give them price comparisons and neighbourhood knowledge. What Sellers and their agents should consider is how to supplement that knowledge with anything they know about the house and the neighbourhood. Create a binder that you, the Seller, can leave on the kitchen or dining room table for Buyers to view. What would you put in this binder?
- A copy of the listing
- Photos of the house that are not on the listing
- A copy of the Survey
- A copy of the Seller Property Information Statement
- Copies of water tests (if rural)
- A copy of the tax bill OR a page with information on the cost of taxes and all utilities.
- A copy of the house inspection (if you had one done prior to listing)
- A copy of any receipts for major work done in and around the house
- A copy of the furnace inspection /maintenance report
- A letter on why you love the house so much
- A part of a map showing the location of your home and other points of interest
- A page with your 5 favourite restaurants and their ads
Remember, put only copies in the binder. Agents may want to ensure that the Binder is clearly a product from their company and include a promotion sheet about the agent. If the home has been staged then the stagers promotion sheet and a couple of cards can be added.
In really hot markets, the binder may be the tipping point for getting offers in the first couple of days and in a bidding war this information is key to a Buyer.
Slake that Buyer’s thirst with a binder of information.
Photo credit: Binder Ring 2