I am a Realtor not a home inspector, so I love all the information we get about a house. Things that can be wrong or go wrong. Home buyers and sellers can benefit from it.
Homeowners can improve their homes in any of a million ways. When doing so, they should always consider a few things. Following this list of common sense steps can help make any project a proud project.
REMEMBER, WHEN DONE WITH ANY HOME-IMPROVEMENT PROJECT, THE HOUSE SHOULD LOOK LIKE IT WAS ALWAYS THAT WAY! IT SHOULD BE THAT HARD TO TELL.
1. Decide what project you want to do or what part of the house you want to improve.
2. Do research! Learn proper techniques, which materials will get the final result you want. When caulking, you only want to put the caulking where it should be put!
3. Be sure to use the proper material for the job at hand. Some caulks are not made for some places! Matching colors is important to the final product when you are done!
4. Practice first! Be sure you have the knowledge and skill to accomplish the task(s) at hand.
5. If not, or if it is a project that requires skills you do not have, hire the right professional to do the job for you!
6. When hiring anybody, AGAIN, do your research! Get references! See what this contractor has done before!
7. If doing the job yourself, be certain you have all the materials you need to FINISH the task! Nothing drags on longer or deflates egos more than unfinished home-improvement projects!
8. Then go, and do, that voodoo that you do so well!
REMEMBER, WHEN YOU ARE DONE WITH ANY HOME-IMPROVEMENT PROJECT, THE HOUSE SHOULD LOOK LIKE IT WAS ALWAYS THAT WAY!
Fortunately, on this house, the homeowner/contractor’s ladder extended only to about 20′, because only the bottom third of the upper-level windows got caulked!
The flip side of that good fortune is that all of the lower windows are very visible!
My recommendation: Well, you already know my recommendation! I have way too much fun with this, um, job… *
This most instructional blog has been brought to you by Lotsa Nuts!
Because when you feel like a snack, eat Lotsa Nuts!
After all, we are what we eat!
* Don’t tell Billy Jays about this project! That infomercial would be out in a minute!
Jay Markanich Real Estate Inspections, LLC
Based in Bristow, serving all of Northern Virginia